Monday, April 2, 2012

Phnom Penh Cambodia: Seen from a Tuk Tuk

This past week I went to Phnom Penh.  I have had many friends tell me how much they LOVED Cambodia... I didn't understand until I went.

Cambodia is by far my favorite place in Asia so far.  The people have  a spirit about them that can not be described.  I have fallen in love and will be back for more!  One week was not enough.....

Phnom Penh has no form of mass transit.  It is a pretty small city but without great sidewalks or buses one is forced into tuk tuk's, moto's (motorcycles) & pedi peds (bicycle with a seat in the front).

I spent most of my time in a tuk tuk because I found a guy that I really loved.  Here are a few pictures that I took while in my tuk tuk.....



Monks were everywhere.  I never tired of seeing them.  I loved their beautiful orange clothing... The contrast against the grimy city was amazing.
 
They take safety very serious here.... You would not believe what I saw.... babies in arms on moto's...
 
Their ability to pull ANYTHING with a moto amazes me.
 
An ELEPHANT?!  I was surprised to see an elephant being used as a work animal.... I can't imagine it is economical to keep something like this....
Rice Paddies
Not the best picture but men and women walked up and down the streets squeaking a little toy (sounds a lot like the kids damn shoes that squeak).  They were picking up trash.  People would come out of store fronts with their trash.... I even saw a baby in a hammock laying between the front handle bars.....
Feather duster anyone?
 
The pollution was awful... this became my MO when in the tuk tuck.....

Not the best picture but this is my sweet tuk tuk man... Moury.  If you are ever Phnom Penh... contact him.  About the only honest one in the city.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I am so glad to read about this. I am so interested in Cambodia. Love the orange clothing, it is really breathtaking. How fun!

    ReplyDelete