Friday, April 6, 2012

Phnom Pehn, Cambodia: Hu Jintao Visit

I had been waiting to go to the Palace all week with M.  M finally had a chance to go on Saturday.  As with all things in Asia, NOTHING is ever easy or goes the way you intend.  We got to the Palace only to find that it was closed for the day because Hu Jintao (president of China) was in Cambodia for a visit.  Cambodia is one of China's closest allies in Asia.  Martin compared it to President Obama visiting Guatemala.... Big deal (no really it was). 

President Hu was taken through the streets of Phnom Pehn on a very select route.  Everything was polished and shiny on his route.  One block away and he would have seen extreme poverty and ugliness.  The route right by the palace (where we were) was not accessible by the local citizens.  You had to have a special pass attached to your shirt.  Because of my big camera (and I am sure the color of my skin) I was allowed past the barricades and got some really good shots!



You can see the special pass on their shirts
 
 
 
"Official" photographer
Here HU comes!
 
There HU is (I know that is grammatically incorrect M)....
 
 
Part of the dragon troupe
What would Hu's visit be w/o the dragon troupe?
 
Traditional Cambodian drums were being played as he drove up to the Palace gates.  The men wore masks while they played....
 
 
 
 
Back gate to the palace... I just thought this was so pretty....

1 comment:

  1. The colors are so amazing. Thanks for the pictures, I love them.

    ReplyDelete