Monday, April 2, 2012

Alice is Officially Perfect!

One of the trickiest things for us to navigate about the Singapore School System is the notion that there are kids who are better than the others.  They single out kids and praise them and hold them up as "the best".  Awards are a daily occurrence.  It is the complete antithesis of the American ideals that all of the kids are special and have potential.  Not really saying which is better but I do tend to lean towards bringing all to their highest potential by not singling out children regularly.

That being said, it has been a huge motivating factor for Alice.... Greta could care less.  Alice is a pleaser and really loves recognition, praise, and awards.  Luckily, she has gotten several (best test score in a huge English exam earned her a book and several other prizes).  I try to keep my praise at home to a minimum (praise for doing her best rather than being the best) and emphasize my values that kids should really not be singled out so much.

Imagine my horror when she came home and said she had been chosen to be a Perfect.  Ugh.  I asked her to tell me more and she said she was chosen because she was perfect and it was an honor.  That was it.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I approached the teacher to ask more about the Perfects.  Mr. Low was very kind to explain that it was NOT perfect but rather the "Prefects".  Oh whew. 

She is a "prefect".  She has pledged to "uphold the school name and rules.  She will be loyal, honest, obedient, and helpful at all times.  She will help maintain school discipline and set a good example.  She will be fair and conscientious in carrying out her duties."  I translated it to my vernacular... and it is like the crossing guards at school right?  I guess I can stand by these values?!

Just to make sure every one knows she is a prefect.... she got a fancy red tie to add to the uniform.   They won't let her wear any jewelry, paint her nails, wear any colorful hair accessories, or wear her hair down... but they will let her wear the tie. 




Just a sad little girl before she became........
A PREFECT!!! 

4 comments:

  1. I love this on so many levels. Can't wait for the rest of your Cambodian posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome. I love that she came home to announce pre-fection. Well around here, we all think Alice is pretty perfect. Love her and the tie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And that red tie makes it all worthwhile. She makes a perfect prefect. :)

    ReplyDelete