Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Krabi, Thailand: Early Morning Walk -Koh Pu

We had lots of time to go for runs and nice long walks.  I swear we were the only foreigner's on the island!  One think that I learned on our trip was that rubber is a commodity... did you know that?

 Check out the pictures of were all your tires come from.

I have been so surprised to see where my stuff comes from (factories in China or even closer to the beginning of the trees that make my rubber).  Seeing the beginning of my stuff has changed the way I consume..... that and moving away from all my favorite places to shop!


This was the main road on Koh Pu


Koh Pu was hit by the tsunami several years ago but had no loss of life because according to the locals, "someone was on their hand phone with someone in Phi Phi and they told them that they saw it coming... this person warned everyone and they ran to the mountains."  They still don't have any way to warn citizens about tsunami's.  Made me feel a little nervous.....


Real live house.....


Rubber grove.  Once the trees mature they can be tapped for rubber for 20 + years if taken care of.




They create these channels on the tree and the cups fill up with the rubber.  Men come in the middle of the night (because that is when they weep the most) and empty the cups and start producing sheets of rubber...




A machine that they still use to roll out the rubber sheets


Rubber drying... you see this all over the island


Rubber camp in the grove... there were a lot of these little processing camps


A home near a grove... People would not let me take pictures of them :(   So I resorted to snapping photo's while the rode past on motor bikes!


This lady comes after the rains and tips the cups and starts a new channel for the rubber to come down.  She was the only person that would let me photograph her....










1,2,3,4,5,6?!






4 plus laundry!  Wow.....

1 comment:

  1. I always got the biggest kick out of how many people fit on a motorbike. So glad you got to enjoy Thailand. Your private island looks amazing. I feel like I learn something every trip too. ....or at least because of our mistakes someone else can learn and do the trip better when they go. :) Traveling and the cultural experiences are what made Singapore so memorable and worth the hard days.

    ReplyDelete