Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Work of Creation

The title of my post today comes from a talk entitled Happiness Your Heritage.  It was given by Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf one of the members of the presidency of my church.  I bring it up because in his address to the women of our church he states this, "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before."

I was reminded of this talk as I lay face down on my bed this afternoon :)  G woke me up with a raging fever, I was feeling disappointed my day would not go as planned, and M is in Jakarta (work) for the next five days spanning over Mother's Day.  I am having a very difficult time finding my rhythm with home school.  I am still recovering from the whirlwind of moving here and add on top of that becoming one of the main sources of education for my children (I won't even mention the loss of freedom and financial independence) it causes me to want to lay in my bed all day.

I finally looked at my watch around three and decided that the day could not be a total wash.  I said a prayer and asked for the will and guidance to move.  Sounds silly but my answer was, "just get up and do something.  ANYTHING."  So up I got, showered and then went to surf the Internet... Hee hee hee.  At least I was out of bed.  I found myself looking at a friends blog.  She had just thrown an elaborate Birthday Party for her daughter.  As I looked over the pictures the talk came to my mind.  I realized that in order to get out of my funk I needed to create something and beautify my surroundings.

I have several friends that I feel my spirit soar when I enter their home.  My dear friend of 15+ years has an artistic eye that makes every thing around her beautiful.  When I enter her home I stare at every detail she has lovingly created.  They don't have a lot of money but she has taken what she has and created a very sacred space.  I have another friend who has an eye for beauty.  She creates parties (and actually loves it) for her children that should be in a magazine.  She dresses with flair, and her home is also a place of beauty.  Yet another friend has a home that feels like a holy temple.  She has great style but what she has more of is an abiding spirit and belief in God that permeates every space in her home.  I see books, art, and words that reflect her faith.  She lost her husband last year in her home and that combined with the spirit that the two of them have together make her home a holy temple to me.

All of these women (and many many more) leave me with a spirit of awe when I enter their home.  They have taken that, "deepest of human yearnings" and created spaces that I love to visit.

With these friends in mind, I decided to do a little creating today to lift my spirits....  It's not much but at least I am not still prostrate on my bed.  I had to use unfamiliar products, no measuring cups, mixing bowls, or rolling pin but.... they taste pretty darn good .  We can't get tortilla's here and it was the only ingredient we needed to have my kids favorite meal!!  Taco's!
Here is to a better day tomorrow!










I can't even get my drink of choice in it's purest form :)  I guess that is a good thing!


My rolling pin :)


Tortillas in a Wok!  It can be done!


Finished Creation... Get the recipe here :Chewy Tortillas

4 comments:

  1. I just used that talk for my lesson last sunday.

    As for finding your groove with homeschool, I feel your pain. A lady in my ward is this amazingly cool woman who founded the LDSHE (lds eastern home educators) group. They are having a huge conference next week. But you can sign up and listen to some of last years lectures for ideas and inspiration. Her kids are amazing and make me wish I had stuck it out with homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did the tortillas turn out? did they taste good? they sure look good!

    Be a little easy on yourself... you just went through a MAJOR life upset (moving anywhere is an upset... but moving across the world and homeschooling is even worse). (Plus M is gone). It will take a little while to get in the groove.
    (I'm not saying it's an excuse to be in bed all day, but don't be hard on yourself if you don't get much done)

    But I think you are very right - I find that creating anything makes me feel so much better.

    I love hearing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I were there with you to homeschool together! It is so hard to try something for the first time by yourself. I am so happy for you guys, even though I know it is sooooo hard to transition. Honestly, I think about leaving you at the airport and I still feel this intense desire to come with you to help out and do it together! I guess part of me must want a similar adventure! That will most likely not happen, but you are so brave and because of that you will have an amazing life!!

    I really do feel better when I create something. It really does give such a great sense of satisfaction. I hope you are not talking about Charlotte's birthday because it was hardly elaborate. I was just too cheap to buy stuff, because you know how I am and I can't just buy the cheap stuff, I always buy too much that is too expensive! So, I made everything instead. It was probably the party of her life. Ha ha. Wish ME could have been there, obviously!! We love that little lady. And all of the ladies in the Vaughan family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sent a post comment but I think it was lost.

    I will try again.

    Hi Jonette all. Sue and I just finished reading your recent blogs and looked at all the pics; we love it.

    When we were your age we move from New York City to the Md/DC area and we were in our own culture shock. I can hardly understand what you all are going through. However, you all all in it together and that is a great plus. Of course, I am presently experiencing my own culture shock--a massage every other week without you- I struggle to carry on!!

    I would love to visit and see Singapore through all your senses. Especially, after reading Martin's letter--what an "exotic ethic" neighborhood you live in.

    Is it hot; very hot or just unreal hot??

    Jonette, I am sure you are a wonderful home teacher! Many new and challenging times--enjoy and remember them all.

    Finally, Jonette, a belated Mother's day to a really special mom.

    Marty


    Marty

    ReplyDelete