Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Happy Vesak Day!!

Happy Vesak (Wesak) Day!  This past week there have been many different celebrations to honor Buddha's Birthday culminating with today which is the official national holiday for Vesak.  We have enjoyed the monks chanting for the past three days.  Their sounds so amazing that I endured the heat so I could have my windows open and balcony door open.  I am sitting on the balcony and the celebration still continues. 

We participated in the Three Steps and a Bow ceremony last night.  The intention was to send light to all the victims of the Japanese earthquakes.  Silly me thought that it would be three steps and a bow and be over......the ceremony went on for hours.  Our family lasted only 30 minutes ;).  I believe we were the only westerners in the whole place....  We didn't understand a word but it was a beautiful idea. 

Today we went and participated in the kids workshops and were able to make t-shirts.  Great fun had by all!




Main alter where the monks spent hours and hours chanting and using all sorts of instruments to compliment their tones.  It isn't the best picture but you get the idea.















Greta getting help with her Chinese characters..... They said, "Happy Birthday Buddha"


I caught ME at the alter with the other kids bowing to Buddha.....










It cracked me up that Greta wrote, "I love the Buddaha"


It is hard to see but this is the Three Steps and a Bow ceremony.  They went around the track several times.  This is the view from our balcony.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was great fun. We wimped out from Lotus Lantern Festival (what they do here for the birthday celebration because we are wuss park-ers.) You sound like things are settling down in your head. ;) (and I mean that in a good way.) k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your account of Vesak day and that you got right in on the fun. Your girls are gorgeous! They were late picking up the stuff so we should have come after all. Oh well. At least Lizzie got in bed early. Thank you again for thinking of us.

    ReplyDelete