Sunday, April 17, 2011

Processing......



Alice getting her cast bi valved for the the 26 hr plane ride......


Saying goodbye to sweet Mrs. Delaney.... both girls had her in Kindergarten


Alice's classmates saying goodbye.....


Downtown Singapore where we will be staying for another week


Marina Bay where we are staying.....


Chilling with the Gimp


After a week of trying to expose our children to local food I broke down.  They were the happiest I have seen them all week.  Sigh......


Serviced apartment where we are staying


The OTHER side of the serviced apartment


View from our balcony
So we made it to Singapore!  The plane ride was just as I expected.  Hell.  It took us over 33 hours of travel time to reach Singapore.  I learned several things:

1.  Travel Light
2.  Make your children sleep
3.  I don't ever want to do that again alone...
4.  The way the other mothers managed on the plane is not an option sadly enough.
5.  They will help you if you look pitiful enough and will in fact move everyone for you if you no longer have the will to go on.
6.  A broken leg gets you to the front of the line for everything and was in fact VERY helpful and a key reason why I even made it (with a full brain) to Singapore, oddly enough.

We have been staying in a serviced apartment (where everything is provided for you.... a little better than a hotel).  Martin's work provides it for two months.  Luckily we will only need it one more week when our airship arrives and our apartment will be available.

Jet lag has REALLY been hard.   The first night we were awake at midnight to Mary Esther wanting to rock out and by 2 the entire family was awake watching cartoons.  I think the girls watched 7hrs of TV that day much to their delight.... despite advice to keep them outside in the sun.   We have progressed an hour each night to where last night we were only awoken at 4 by Mary Esther declaring, "she wanted to go home to our house and play with Charlotte and Marky!"  She has been the funniest of all and given us a view into how little she understands.  About every three or four hours she declares she wants to go home and that she would like me to have Charlotte come over to our new pool.  Sigh....

The area we are staying in is like the Wall Street of Singapore.  Needless to say they don't really know how or what to think of me and my three darlings when we go out.  First of all, there are three children (GIRLs no less) and second of all we have no helper (gasp).  But I have high hopes that my experience will be much different in the neighborhood we are moving to and that milk will only be $6 a quart instead of $10 :).

We went to church today for the first time.  It was so nice to sing familiar songs, have a familiar routine, and worship.  So nice to go anywhere in the world and have that touch stone.  Greta usually declares in her peachy way that, "SHE HATES CHURCH."   When told this morning that it was Sunday and we were going to church she simply declared, "oh good.  I need some friends here."  Well at least she is connecting with the sociality of the religion.  We'll take it!

We ate dinner with another family who is homeschooling tonight and it gave me a lot of hope and excitement that we will be OK homeschooling. 

Overall I am feeling very homesick for the dear friends that we have left but excited to be setting out on a new adventure. 

Did I mention that it is VERY hot here?


6 comments:

  1. WOW! It all looks SO AMAZING! I'm so glad you have a blog so we can follow your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the trip sounds like hell. Glad you made it through!! And I was going to tell you... Picasa's "blog this" button is not working. There have been a lot of angry people because of it - so google is trying to fix it. But sorry you had trouble uploading your pictures. I've been REALLY annoyed with it too... oh and be on the lookout for a invitation to our blog (since it's private). Love seeing your pictures and hearing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte misses ME too! We all really really miss you and think of you often!!

    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the rough flight! I'm excited to read up about your adventures!! Denise K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never doubted that all 4 ladies would make Singapore; I am happy your trip is yesterdays story.

    I cannot wait to see views from your apartment.

    is everything very expensive??

    tomorrow Passover starts--8 days of no bread.

    Fractures in young children heal very well and very quickly.

    Love looking at pics.
    You write very well and I find what you have to say quite insightful and very interesting. We all have a unique story to tell, if there is someone interested enough to listen.

    Send my love to all!!

    marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. am so glad you're all there and the nights and days are starting to straighten themselves out...I cried while I was reading the first post about forgetting and remembering. It really hit home for me...and I do love you all so very much. xoxoxo Aunt Maribeth

    ReplyDelete