Wednesday, April 20, 2011

82$ Mistake


















So I have made two pretty costly mistakes since I have been here.  Both have involved promising my children that we could do something only to discover that what was a cheap way to have fun in the states is enormously expensive here (or at least I haven't figured out the affordable way of doing them).  The first woops was promising that we could paint our nails.  Went down to the local nail place, picked out our favorite colors after much deliberation.  Every girl had their color in their hand.  Went to pay and was told that they were 16$ per bottle!!  We could have all gotten our nails done for what I paid for the nail polish!  Argh. 

And second mistake......  I promised the girls yesterday that we would go to a craft store in town and they could spend 10$ on whatever they wanted.  I felt like I was being particularly spendy because at home the limit was $5!   When we arrived at the craft store it became quickly apparent that my 10$ limit was unreasonable.  Paint was 7$ per small jar, the cheapest paint brushes were 4$, beads were 30$, a box of crayola markers were 25$ and glue 8$!!  Argh.  I became so exasperated as we moved from craft project to craft project that I finally settled on one of the cheapest options and left the store 82$ poorer.  Bleh.  I guess before I promise we will do something here I will check out myself first!  Glad I packed lots of art supplies!!  Now you guys know what you can send us for Christmas and pack in your luggage when you come to see us :)

5 comments:

  1. Send me your mailing address. I suspect that you are going to find places that it will be cheaper. Here in Korea stuff like that can be expensive but you can also find it cheap elsewhere. ;) In the meantime, I know where said places are in Korea. N asked if you guys were going to come visit us sometimes. ;) k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will bring you whatever craft supplies or nail polish you would like when i come visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blog. Thanks for linking on fb - following your life this way is more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya! Don't even get me started on how much legos cost here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully that white rice will add some poundage to those kids:) I'll bring some of Margot's bum when we come visit cause your girls need it;)

    ReplyDelete