Friday, January 6, 2012

Field Trip to Kid's Kampong in Pasir Ris




ME decided that she did not want to go to school anymore..... I decided that at three you get to "choose" school.  So she is a preschool drop out.  We were paying a very pretty penny for her to attend and after 3 months of fighting every day I decided that it wasn't worth it.

  I wish that she didn't hate it.... She had just started enjoying singing in Mandarin and seemed to be picking up phonics pretty quick.  Sigh... Maybe I will look for a different school.

One funny/horrifying side note.... They had a "Christmas" party at school despite that over half of the children are not Christian... which I found funny but appreciated.  At the Christmas party the parents voted on "Smartest Boy" and "Prettiest Girl".... Sigh.  Asia is VERY sexist in MANY ways.  Martin says that it is that the women are very feminine and don't have the same "concerns" about gender that western women do.... bleh.  Well imagine my horror when they announced the winner to be ME.  She screamed with joy and ran up to get her VERY large present.  When she got back from standing in front of the room bowing (sigh) she asked me what she had won.  I told her she won "funniest girl".  She said, "oh good... It's because my jokes are really funny."  One particular little girl was crying because she didn't win and I made ME (with the bribe of going out and getting a replacement) give her part of the prize she won.  Everyone was happy....

For now, she is just over the moon to be alone with mommy.  From my past experience, this time goes by like lighting so I am going to just enjoy her as much as possible!


Before she dropped out we went on a field trip to the Kid's Kampong with her class....





A & G on the bus!








"Hell no I don't want to touch that!"


Come here fishy fishy..... We came home with 20 fish!  We bought a fish tank and all the accouterments... we have two left :)


These nasty fish would eat out of your hand!  Yuck....


This is the only picture I could get w/o being totally obvious but it is of a VERY strange Asian custom:  THEY FEED THEIR KIDS!!!  Even very old children.... All of the children at this field trip were being fed by a parent except for ME!  One of the first questions our maid asked us is if she needed to feed the children when they ate!!  On Greta's first day of P1 they reminded the parents NOT to feed their kids (themselves) during break.  Very Very strange.... Haven't figured out what it is all about.


These friends are the same age!!

1 comment:

  1. That boy is tiny! And the vote for the prettiest girl is hilarious. And very sad. You are so good at writing down your culture clashes. I need do that more often.

    ReplyDelete