Friday, November 4, 2011

Happy Halloween!


So the girls started asking in August what we were doing for Halloween .... Holidays have taken on new significance since moving to Singapore.  The rhythm of our life has been extremely disrupted by the lack of weather markers or holidays.  I assume that we will just have to create a different rhythm. 

I half heartily told the them we could have a Halloween party... easy to say in August!  Then when Oct. 1 rolled around they reminded me of my promise!  I told them to make a guest list and I would do the rest.....

You would not believe HOW HARD it is to plan a party and  find Halloween stuff in Singapore.  Singapore does not celebrate Halloween, for the most part, except the really gory part. 

Panicked, I placed a huge order to Oriental Trading Company (sucked up the shipping fees) and ordered helium... Problem solved! 


 We had a great time and were surrounded by our favorite people in Singapore.  We have been blessed with a huge group of friends here!




Our good friend Annie's sister has a really great food blog where I got this recipe.  It was out of this world!
Notice the really AWESOME silverware ;) 



My dear friend made so much yummy food!  Thanks R!

Mmmmmm juice of fire newt.  Tastes a little like root beer if you ask me :)

And the best costume award goes to the Furner Family!


Love this kid... He was a character out of Super Mario Brothers... don't ask me who!  I stand in awe of mothers who come up with unique costumes for their kids.. Not my talent!

Could eat him... if only he would sit still long enough!


Sweet G... "garden fairy"


A made her own costume this year... turned out pretty well!


 


ME's "best English friend" in Singapore!


A's future husband?  If only we could be so lucky ;)
Another product of a mom who is amazing in the costume department! 



ME whispered in my ear... " I am not having any fun at my Halloween Party"  I asked why... and she said, "because you made me wear this dress.  I do not like it mama"  Well.... all I can say is, "I paid $ **** for this dress and had a friend carry it back in his luggage from the states... YOU WILL WEAR IT!"

The hit of the party was the donut game!


Costume parade around the pool... the locals did not know what to do with us.  The whole morning while we were setting up the neighbors were staring in the windows of the function room and going crazy with excitement... a real live Halloween Party.  Apparently the don't see that every day!  They had a lot of questions.  We passed out many balloons...  During the parade we had neighbors hanging out the windows and laughing...  This isn't the best picture but speedo man cracked me up! 
And the grand finale... the pinata!!



G getting some of her anger out!  She hit it harder than almost any other kid there.... hmmmmm.



We had such a wonderful time!  Happy Halloween Friends... We wish you were here.

5 comments:

  1. All I can say is holy crapinoly. you're awesome. i also am a huge fan of your friend's sister's food blog and recipe book. i use it all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! That silverware IS awesome! I love it!!! You guys are so cute and that picture of ME is seriously amazing. Even if she did hate the dress ! Her eyes...my goodness that child is a doll. Love your party! I am so glad we know you guys. Truly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love these pictures--especially of the girls. No costumes for you and Martin?

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I want to try that caramel apple dip! I love all of the details and holiday touches...you have quite a flair for party planning, design!

    P.S. Have you ever thought of taking a photography course????? JKJKJKJKJKJK (just said that b/c of what you told me @ BurgerShack!)

    ReplyDelete